It’s that time of the year that we unfortunately hear about a lot of house fires. Homes and businesses being damaged or destroyed is in the news, we hear about it from our friends and family, or maybe it’s even happened in your neighborhood. For most residents in the United States, winter heating is essential. Most of us use a furnace, a boiler, a woodstove or a heat pump which provides us that heat we desperately need to make it through the winter. No matter what is used, keeping your family safe is most important. One way to help insure that is by keeping your smoke and carbon monoxide detector(s) in the best working condition possible.
Winter home fires cause almost $2 billion in damages each year and are often due to the lack of or non-functioning smoke or fire detectors. Many fires can be caused by the ways homes are heated, and according to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters are the type of heating equipment most often involved in home heating fires.
Of course, the best way to help prevent fires from happening in the first place is to maintain your furnace. To thoroughly check your furnace as well as getting your chimney cleaned can help prevent or at least minimize the risk and anything terrible happening.
Another thing to keep in mind during this time of year is carbon monoxide, which is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. Carbon monoxide can leak from your heating system. To help prevent a leak or catch it early, install and maintain a working carbon monoxide detector.
If you are in need of a thorough safety check of your heating and cooling system, call Automatic Air today at 502-805-1790!