The wintertime is one of the most important times for your HVAC unit to work properly. It keeps your family warm all season long, so it requires some upkeep to run effectively and efficiently. Follow these 5 steps to make sure that your HVAC unit is prepared for a winter storm and cold weather.
- Keep up with Regular Furnace Maintenance: Lack of maintenance is one of the main causes of furnace breakdowns and repairs. It is important to have routine tune-ups to make sure that no major issues arise.
- Replace your Dirty Filter: If your air filter is dirty, it will have to work harder to push the heat throughout your home, which will increase your energy costs. A clean filter is vital in making sure that your HVAC unit can work efficiently and stay cost effective.
- Clear Air Vents: Air vents in your home can be blocked by a number of things, such as furniture and other objects. Blocking these air vents can cause limited airflow and cause drops in the temperature of your home. Make sure that all air vents are free of blockage and are open so your house can be heated properly.
- Properly Insulate your Home: Making sure that your home is properly insulated is a great way to regulate the temperature in your home. Attics, especially, should be insulated properly, as most heat leaves your home through the roof. You will also want to check windows and doors in your home, as these are common places for loosing heat.
- Inspect your Heat Pump: Heat pumps are designed to prevent snow from accumulating on your unit. The best way to make sure this works properly is to make sure the top of the unit is clear if a winter storm is headed your way.
Follow our simple steps to make sure that your HVAC unit is running efficiently before the extreme winter weather begins. If you need to make an appointment to have a repair made to your HVAC unit, give us a call today!